with thanks to
Stephen E. DeLong
Ronald A. Knox, 1912
from the Grypon Club photograph below
The Grypon Club
the Literature of Sherlock Holmes, a semi-serious paper on the sometimes
too-serious idea of "literary scholarship" was presented by Father Knox
(then an Anglican Priest) before this group in 1911. It was published
in The Blue Book Magazine in 1912. Msgr. Knox
went on to publish this work in his Essays in Satire in 1928.
Stephen E. DeLong, in a research project of his own, found these references and photos through his research. Clare Hopkins, Archivist at Trinity Archive provided the information quoted below (as found in DeLong's website). For a look, yourself, please link to The Gryphon Club.
Gryphon Club was founded in 1881 as a semi-serious paper reading society.
It was in existence until the mid 1920s, and was refounded briefly in the
1960s. There was an average of perhaps 20 active members at any time, and
they would meet in one another's rooms and address each other on a wide
range of literary or general-interest topics. Minutes were kept and annual
photographs taken. It happened that several of the founding members went
on to be Fellows (and one a president) of Trinity. They continued to patronise
its activities, and this contributed to its unusually long existence. (Very
few College societies have ever flourished for more than 3 years after
the original members graduated.)"
|Etext 1998, Stephen E. DeLong|